Location: West Wareham, MA
Position: Full Time
Experience: 7+ Years
For more than 50 years, EdgeTech has been the industry leader in the design and manufacture of advanced underwater sonar systems for applications involving seabed survey, target detection, object identification, mooring instrumentation, and acoustic tracking/positioning. Our products are used to support a variety of customers, from offshore oil and gas, to fisheries/science/underwater research, defense, and police/fire search and rescue.
This person will serve as a staff mechanical engineer responsible for mechanical design of the companies imaging sonar products to include standard systems and custom-developed solutions.
- Participate in mechanical design activities for new development projects and manufacturing support efforts.
- Demonstrate proficiency in mechanical design for subsea components (pressure housings, end-caps, electronic packaging, transducers) using structural analysis (finite element modeling, desired), CAD, and solid modeling (Solidworks).
- Manage the design and prototyping of new components to rapidly test changes and improvements
- Oversee and coordinate activities involved in fabrication, operation, installation, and repair of mechanical or electromechanical products and systems
- Manage the testing and qualification of designed components as well as implementing and testing all changes
- Assist other engineering organizations in the integration of new sensors and subsystems
- Assist purchasing department to select vendors for purchased mechanical components; provide engineering input to outside machine shops that will be fabricating components
- Participate in the documentation control efforts (BOMs, drawings, etc.) for all subsystems and components
- Interface with the engineering group on engineering change orders, new product transfers, bill of material structure and entry
- Support Sales and Marketing personnel with custom engineering quotations
- Must be a self-motivated individual, working as a key member in a small group developing state-of-the-art acoustic systems.
Skills & Experience
- BSME (or related degree) from 4-year college/university
- 7+ years relevant experience
- Must be proficient with Solidworks in creating 3D models of full-scale systems.
- Must have skills in modeling/analyzing the strength of design structures; experience with FEA tools is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively amongst a diverse group of engineering disciplines.
- Must be organized, able to work on multiple tasks concurrently, and meet deadlines/schedules
- Previous experience in the Marine industry is a plus.
- Must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident
- Occasional field support of deployed systems is likely and a willingness to travel for short periods is required (<15%)